The founder of vibrant, souk-style restaurant Comptoir Libanais has shared his recipe for the perfect Lebanese hummus. You can discover this dish, and all of Comptoir Libanais' fragrant Middle Eastern flavours, right here on Deliveroo. But if you're out to impress a few guests, and really want to make your mezze into a masterpiece, here's Tony Kitous with the only hummus recipe you'll ever need.
Our hummus is strongly flavoured with lemon, garlic and tahini so it's much more intense than the sort you get from the supermarkets. If you want, you can remove the skin from the chickpeas first. If someone does it for me then I love it as the flavour is better, but if it's just me, I'm lazy and leave them on. If you purée the chickpeas first it's easier to get the authentic smooth texture I prefer.
- 225g drained cooked chickpeas
- 75ml fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- A little cooking liquid from the chickpeas (or water)
- 150g tahini (shop-bought or homemade) stirred until creamy before measuring
- 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch of ground cumin (optional)
- Purée the warm chickpeas with the lemon juice, garlic and about 50ml of the cooking liquid or water in an upright blender until it is as smooth as you can get it, using extra water if needed.
- Put the tahini in a mixing bowl, add a third of the chickpea purée and whisk it in. At first the tahini will seize, but gradually whisk in more and more of the chickpea purée until the hummus is the consistency you like. If the mixture is slightly thick, beat in a little water or lemon juice to soften it. Finally beat in salt to taste and, if you like, a pinch of cumin.
An even simpler way to make hummus is to place cold drained chickpeas in a food processor, with half the lemon juice and a mashed clove of garlic, then purée until smooth. Next add half the tahini then purée again until very smooth once more. You can add one or two small ice cubes to the mixture with the tahini as this will help to create a very pale colour. Then add more garlic, tahini or lemon juice and salt to taste.
If you can't wait to try some of Comptoir Libanais' delicious hummus, order now from Deliveroo.